Catholic Values Investing
IFC's Index Portfolios are Screened to Exclude Companies that:
- Earn at least 20% of their total annual revenue through the production and/or sale of conventional or nuclear weapons, their weapon systems, or critical components of these products, or the provision of weapon systems support and service.
- Are engaged in certain for profit business activities in or with the Republic of the Sudan.
- Earn at least 15% of their total annual revenue through the production and/or sale of tobacco or alcohol products, or key products or raw materials necessary for their production.
- Earn at least 20% of their total annual revenue from certain gambling activities, the production of goods used exclusively for gambling, or the provision of certain services in casinos that are fundamental to gambling operations.
- Directly participate in abortions, or develop or manufacture abortive agents or contraceptives.
- Earn at least 15% of their total annual revenue from the rental, sale, distribution or production of pornographic materials, or the ownership or operation of adult entertainment establishments.
- Are involved in the production or manufacture of landmines, cluster munitions, or the essential components of these products.
- Have had major recent controversies relating to child labor infractions in the U.S. or abroad
- Are involved in stem cell research.
Investing for Catholics' socially responsible investing philosophy is firmly entrenched in a passive rebalancing investing strategy that maintains an ongoing screening process. The fund universe meets the following criteria:
- Passively managed, with an SRI monitoring process
- Style pure
- Conforms to index benchmarks that carry at least 20 years of statistical data demonstrating risk and return
- Conforms to the criteria for risk-appropriate tilts to specific markets as set forth by leading financial economists